Via Mario Greppi
Site n. 5 - Angera Open Air Museum
From the old Pasqué, now Piazza Parrocchiale, starts the old Via di Mezzo, today called Via Mario Greppi after a victim of the Liberation shot in 1945 (and previously Via Vittorio Emanuele II).
The road runs parallel to the lake shore, crossing the historic town centre; it corresponds to the ancient Mediolanum Verbannus, the road that connected Milan and the lake in the Roman period.
The most recent excavations, conducted in 2005-2006, unearthed the doorsteps of ancient houses and other remains of the Roman town at only 20-30 centimetres beneath the present surface. They date to no later than the 1st century BC.
The first road that joins Via Greppi is Via Marconi, which Angerans used to call Rungiùn since in the past beside it ran the Roggione, a watercourse that when it rained became a veritable torrent (it now passes underground). At the corner with Via Marconi stands the Palazzo del Pretorio, today home of the Archaeological Museum.
On Via Greppi there are buildings that played important roles in local history.