Via Visconti, 8

Captain's House

Site n. 22 - Angera Open Air Museum

14th-15th century

The residence at 8 Via Visconti still displays an arched brick entrance (now closed off) surmounted by a circular shield bearing the serpent of the Visconti family. Beside survives a fine mullioned window with a capital decorated with the Visconti coat of arms, flanked by two heads. It has been suggested that this might have been the home of the Captain of the Lake, a political figure in Angera's local government since at least 1397, when under Giangaleazzo Visconti, Duke of Milan, the County of Angera was born.

Casa Forni has been identified as another possible residence of the Captain of the Lake during the 16th century.

Where we are

Find around