Site n. 29 - Angera Open Air Museum
Cascina Monastero owes its name to a religious foundation established by Cardinal Federico Borromeo. On 25th July 1625 work was begun on the construction of a monastery for the Barefoot Carmelite nuns, who livered a cloistered existence devoted mainly to contemplative prayer.
The monastery was soon sold and became a farmhouse. The walls of the current building still bear remains of the past, including a fresco of Federico Borromeo dated 1712.