Church of San Vittore
Before reaching the lake, Via Mario Greppi touches the old quarter called da Muu or dell’Amore, where in the past Angera's fishermen lived. Today the road is named after the young partisan Arturo Merzagora who was shot in 1944.
At 1 Via Merzagora the façade of the old church of San Vittore is still recognisable. The church was probably present in the 13th century; in the 16th it became seat of the Confraternità di Santa Marta and (from the 1600s) also that of the Confraternità del Santo Rosario.
The church was rebuilt in the Baroque epoch and sold at the end of the 18th century; storerooms and dwellings were constructed within it.
The apse, south wall and bell-tower (to the south-east) contain parts of the older building and may be seen by entering from the courtyards on Via Merzagora.
The interior is usually closed to visitors, but features interesting stucco decorations and capitals of the vault. Into one of the modern buildings on the north side is walled a Romanesque panel showing the Crucified Christ.
Today, the furnishings of San Vittore are kept in the parish church of Ranco. The old statue of the Madonna del Rosario, which once stood on the main altar, is now in the little church of Uponne.
Excavations conducted in the 1970s and 2005 led to the discovery of structures dating from the 1st century BC to the Early Medieval period. Pieces of Early Christian inscriptions were also found, suggesting the existence of an Early Christian church in the area where San Vittore was later built. Excavations carried out in 2014 beneath the church floor seemed to confirm this hypothesis.
The finds are kept in the Civic Archaeological Museum, 2 Via Marconi.