Church of San Quirico
Site n.30 - Angera Open Air Museum
XIII - XX century
The church of San Quirico is located at the top of the hill that bears its name, has very ancient origins and the first document in which it appears dates back to the early years of the thirteenth century.
The church certainly knew more construction phases, the oldest part is constituted by the apse and the structure was completed in the following centuries. The wall decoration and frescoes date back to the 1920s.
The external apparatus is characterized by a gabled facade anticipated by a portico supported by pillars, on the northern side there is a small bell tower, on the southern external wall, instead, there is a sundial made in recent times by Alvinio Ravasi. The interior enveloped in the half-light leads to meditation and invites to silence.
The plan has a single nave composed of four spans defined by lateral pilasters and the succession of three arches. The walls are enriched with recent frescoes with ornamental motifs inspired by the ancient local tradition.
The crucifixion is interesting with Martyrdom of San Quirico made in 1934 by Riccardo Borghi, painter of Malnate.
The dedication to San Quirico, a child martyr often venerated together with his mother Giulitta, was very successful in the Visconti and Lombard territories; the churches of Barza, Barzola and Ternate were also dedicated to San Quirico.
According to a tradition already mentioned in 1640, the Angerese population is very devoted to this place and celebrates on Easter Monday and April 25th.