The Churches of Angera

The churches located in and around Angera indelibly record the religious history of its population. With their structure and their various transformations, they tell the stories of community life handed down from century to century and the wealth of spiritual and moral values ​​that still characterize this town. The present churches are just some of the many that dotted the landscape in the first centuries of the last millennium. Of those that have not survived, significant remains are still visible. Click the boxes to learn more about the history of the Churches of Angera.

Map

Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta

Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta

Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta

The parish church of Santa Maria Assunta is largely built of the pale-coloured Angera Stone which is characteristic of Angera's principal monuments. The present building stands  on a previous church dedicated to Santa Maria, extant since at least the 14th century. 

Church of Saints Alessandro, Sisinnio and Martirio

 Church of Saints Alessandro, Sisinnio and Martirio

Church of Saints Alessandro, Sisinnio and Martirio

The church is dedicated to Sisinnio, Martirio and Alessandro, clerics and martyrs from Cappadocia sent at the end of the 4th century by Bishop Ambrogio of Milan to evangelize the Non Valley, in the Province ofTrento.
The current edifice is the result of the rebuild between 1580 and 1585 of structures dating to the Early Medieval period. What was once considered to be Angera's major church was most probably erected on top of a previous Early Christian construction.

Ex-convent and ex-gate of St. Caterina

Ex-convent and ex-gate of St. Caterina

Ex-convent and ex-gate of St. Caterina

The ex-convent of Santa Caterina, martyr and virgin, was built in the 14th century as a hospital adjacent to the church of the same name.
All that remains today is the exterior and some internal structures; the building now contains private dwellings.

Convent of Santa Teresa

Convent of Santa Teresa

Convent of Santa Teresa

On the left (south) side of Via Greppi, at the corner with Via Cavour (once Contrada delle Monache), stand the remains of the convent of Santa Teresa, now used as dwellings and shops. 
The architectural form may be clearly seen from above, from the gallery of the castle or Rocca.

Church of San Vittore

Church of San Vittore

Church of San Vittore

Before reaching the lake, Via Mario Greppi touches the old quarter called da Muu or dell’Amore, where in the past Angera's fishermen lived. Today the road is named after the young partisan Arturo Merzagora who was shot in 1944.

Sanctuary of Madonna dei Miracoli or the Shore

Sanctuary of Madonna dei Miracoli or the Shore

Sanctuary of Madonna dei Miracoli or the Shore

“In 1657 on the 27th June occurred the miracle of sweating blood, which appeared on the forehead of the Blessed Virgin that stood above the side wall of the door of Casa Berna. So, as is their custom, the women of Angera had made a garland of flowers for this effigy. And a woman who, passing in front of it, knelt to say a Hail Mary before the Divine Image, saw that blood came from its face again and again.

Church of San Quirico

Church of San Quirico

Church of San Quirico

The church of San Quirico, which stands on top of the hill named after it, is of ancient foundation; the first document referring to it dates from the early years of the 13th century.
The church has undoubtedly several construction phases; the oldest part is the apse, and the building was completed in later centuries. The wall decorations and frescoes date to the 1920s.

Bruschera Church

 Bruschera Church

Bruschera Church

The Church of the Sacra Famiglia was built in the village of Bruschera di Angera in 1952.

Church of Santa Maria Maddalena and of Sant'Ambrogio - Capronno

Church of Santa Maria Maddalena and of  Sant'Ambrogio - Capronno

Church of Santa Maria Maddalena and of Sant'Ambrogio - Capronno

The Church of Saint Mary Magdalene in Capronno stands on a hill overlooking the hamlet.
The present building incorporates an older church dedicated to Santa Maria.
The bell-tower was included in the façade in the older structure; it is Romanesque in style (11th century) and was made with re-used pieces of worked stone, such as the lid of a Roman sarcophagus.

Church of Saints Cosma and Damiano-Barzola

 Church of Saints Cosma and Damiano-Barzola

Church of Saints Cosma and Damiano-Barzola

A church dedicated to Saint Quiricus in Barzora locality is documented in the late 13th century; this was perhaps the church of Barzola in the parish of Angera which since the 16th century has been dedicated to Saints Cosmas and Damian.
The slender, elegant bell-tower seems to be part of the original building that dates to the early second millennium; it is one of the oldest and best-preserved in the Province of Varese.

Church of Sant'Antonio

 Church of Sant'Antonio

Church of Sant'Antonio

Oratory of the Merzagora family rebuilt in the end of 16th century and destroyed in the second half of the 19th century, only a part of wall is left in Via Paletta.